Picture, if you will, a comic book about a world where old gods hide in the shadows. They have amassed monetary wealth and earthly power, and they plan to use it to force humanity to worship them again… by fomenting Armageddon on Earth, and then saving the last surviving dregs of humanity, who will worship the Old Ones while envying the dead. A world where the only one who can save us is a simple nun. Oh, yeah: and Jesus. Who rides a Harley. And carries a machine gun. And enjoys the use of stimulants and prostitutes. Oh, and I forgot: Satan’s there, too. And he and Jesus have a history. In the Sam and Diane, Ross and Rachel sense of the word.
Sound like a fun comic? Well, it actually exists, and this week, we’re excited to have as our special guests: Nick Marino and Daniel Arruda Massa, the co-creators of Action Lab’s Danger Zone imprint’s newest comic: Holy F*ck!
Nick and Daniel spent a little time with us to talk about the book, its origins, how they came to collaborate on the book, how it found a home at Action Lab, and what you can expect from this story of Jesus and Satan against the old gods (hint: there are no helicopters). We also extensively discuss the use of specialty hairpieces in the pursuit of comics work. It’s a damn fun interview.
In addition, Amanda and I talk about:
- Dan DiDio’s ongoing series of Facebook posts recapping his 13-year history at DC Comics,
- Star Wars #1, written by Jason Aaron with art by John Cassaday, and:
- Constantine #21, written by Ray Fawkes with art by Jeremy Haun!
And the obligatory disclaimers:
- We record this show live to tape (although we recorded our interview with Nick and Daniel separately, and then cut it into the remainder of the show). As such, it might be a little looser than other comics podcasts you are used to, but it also means that anything can happen. Like a detailed description of Zeus’s man-nipples.
- This show contains spoilers. While we try to shout warnings ahead of time, just assume we’re going to ruin every ending you ever cared about.
- This show contains adult, profane languange, and is therefore not safe for work. We interview guys who created a book called Holy F*ck, guys; unless you want your boss to hear a discussion about Jesus’s and Satan’s special relationship, get some headphones.
A few other things we want to point out:
Nick and Daniel did a few short comics about what Jesus has been up to between Good Friday and Holy F*ck, if you want to get a taste of the book:
- Holy F*ck Origins: 33 AD – Jesus returns to the Apostles
- Holy F*ck Origins: 506 AD – Jesus gets drunk with Merlin
- Holy F*ck Origins: 994 AD – Jesus fires Earth’s first gun
- Holy F*ck Origins: 1532 AD – God’s angry at his naughty son
- Holy F*ck Origins: 1958 AD – Lucha Libre action: Jesus vs. Satan!
The first two issues are available at Comixology, and:
While we were talking, Nick put together and sent us a drawing that is relevant to our discussion, the comic and the title of this show:
Enjoy the show, suckers!