And we came back just in time for an almost complete comics news drought. This happens ever year in the couple of weeks leading up to San Diego Comic-Con; the publishers save their big announcements for the show, while leaking only little things, like TV casting announcements.
So the news about comics winds up being news about comics at SDCC. So this week, we discuss a couple of announcements about the convention itself, including some of the… shall we say, odder… convention exclusives that some vendors are making available, to the announcement that Marvel Studios won’t be having a Hall H presence this year, while Star Wars and DC / Warner Bros. (probably) will be having a big one.
And we took the opportunity afforded by a relatively slow news week to talk about more of this week’s comics than usual, including:
- Starve #1, written by Brian Wood with art by Daniel Zezelj,
- Starfire #1, written by Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti with art by Emanuela Lupacchino,
- Constantine, The Hellblazer #1, written by Ming Doyle and James Tynion IV with art by Riley Rossmo, and
- Batman #41, written by Scott Snyder with art by Greg Capullo!
And, as usual, the disclaimers:
- We record this show live to tape, with minimal editing. While this might mean a looser comics podcast than you are used to, it also means that anything can happen. Like learning why putting a cape on your office chair means Gotham City is doomed.
- This show contains spoilers. While we try to shout out warnings ahead of time, please be aware that we might ruin stuff for you.
- This show contains adult, profane language, and is therefore not safe for work. Unless you want your employer to hear multiple references to a sketchy, ten-dollar party, get some headphones.
Enjoy the show, suckers!